When You Reach the Fork in the Road

Are you feeling stuck?  Are you at the fork in the road and don’t know which path to take?

Glad you stopped by – you didn’t stumble across this post by accident.

I’ve been feeling stuck lately myself.  With several distractions in my life over the past while, I’ve been in survival mode.  Nothing particularly urgent has been going on, just lots of things and people requiring my attention at the same time… not the least of which are my two active little boys.

I’ve been stretched thin, something we all face from time to time.

So I haven’t been able to devote nearly as much time to writing as I’d like.  And I haven’t been feeling particularly creative.  Both of these things frustrate me.  I feel as if I’m not taking care of my own needs.

A problem-solver by nature, I naturally want to force it.  To make myself be creative.

Hah.  Doesn’t work so well.

And when I overextend myself for too long or try to force myself into a decision, I lose touch with my inner wisdom, the compass that guides me well when I listen faithfully to it.

Many of us, consciously or subconsciously, try to control our own lives.  Maybe it makes us feel “safer” or more ambitious or productive.  For whatever reason, we push forward, often making decisions in haste without taking the time to listen.

To listen to what we really, truly want.

So this is when I remind myself – and now, you – of this:

You don’t need to have everything figured out right now.

Choices should not be made with the rational brain alone, and it’s much easier to make decisions when you’re feeling calm and centred.

So when you’re facing that fork in the road, just BREATHE.  Close your eyes and breathe. And listen to your inner wisdom.  It’s there, but you’ll need to find a bit of quiet in order to hear it.

Then, take a step forward, even the smallest of steps.  The answers will come.

I love the Martin Luther King Jr. quote, “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase.  Just take the first step.”

We’ll never know what the future will bring.  For now we have this moment, and this moment alone.  Breathe, take a step forward and believe in yourself.  The rest will fall into place.

Related article: Getting Past Stuck (Simple Mindfulness)

About Christine

Positive thinker. Writer. Lover of travel and adventure, oceans and mountains, and the energy of a big city. Oh, and deep belly laughs, sappy movies and spirited conversations. Believer in limitless human potential.
This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life, Motherhood, Parenting, Purpose, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to When You Reach the Fork in the Road

1. jennlaurent says:

Funny I was just writing a blog about this very subject tonight. Thank you for your beautiful and inspiring post.

2. Jodi Chapman says:

Beautifully written and so true, Christine! Thank you!
    That’s one of my favorite quotes, too. 🙂 One step at a time…
    I’m sharing this in my newsletter that goes out tomorrow morning. XO

3. Alex says:

Very well written. I agree with you completely.
    Hope you are able to find some time for yourself soon. I sense it when I’m getting overwhelmed. I don’t always realize it fast enough, but when I do, I try to remember to breathe. Take a step out of the situation, go for a walk or a bike ride, a run..or just sit on the back deck with a book. It doesn’t take much for me. Then I can see things more clearly.

4. Perfectly said Christine! We try to push and force and do when the best thing we can do is simply be – be with ourselves and be with whatever comes. We frequently forget that we’re human beings, not human doings. There’s so little we can control anyway. Thank you!

5. Dawn says:

I love this post! You capture the very essence of my Choosing The Better Life blog and approach. Thank you for the insight – and the reminders! Cheers to your brighter side of life, Christine! Dawn, of Choosing the Better Life

• Thanks so much Dawn! Yes, I’ve learned over time that I make more authentic choices, the ones that are really right for me, when I slow down enough to “listen.” Cheers to you too in your beautiful corner of the world at Choosing the Better Life! I love your blog. Thanks again for commenting!

• Dawn says:

Ahh, yes, the key of listening. Loved your response to me, too. 🙂 Thrilled you like my blog, as I’m a fan of yours!

6. Lois Hughes says:

Hi Christine – I am reading this post at just the right moment today. I have been feeling incredibly stuck about an issue I’m having in my life and, most of the time, I’ve chosen to ignore it and just hope it might go away. Today I stopped, reflected, listened and addressed the problem for the first time. The clarity will come if we are willing to be still and seek for the answers that lie within. Glad I found your blog today! Lois

• Hi Lois, so glad you found my post at the right time and were able to address an old issue that’s been nagging at you. Must’ve felt great. Today I needed clarity about something that I’ve felt stuck in too, and found that listening within gave me the answer I needed – though at first it was a challenge to slow down enough to distinguish between inner wisdom and ego. Thanks so much for commenting!

7. Pingback: I’m giving birth again! | The Brighter Side of Life

8. Pingback: Happy Birthday, Brighter Side! 5 Highlights from the Past Year | The Brighter Side of Life